Friday, December 14, 2018

CHAPTER XXV MARRIAGE AND SEPARATION


Chapter XXV

Marriage and separation

            Marriage is sacred world over; particularly for the Hindus it is a sacrament. In the matter of marriage, I was late to decide. Late as per the traditions of Maithil Brahmins where even in those days in the lowest middle class a matriculate, in lower middle class a graduate and in upper middle class an employment were criteria for grooms and you could have any type of groom, if you had money to purchase one.
            In my life, I had several proposals for marriage from medicos as well as non-medicos. Till 1986, I was not inclined to marry. I had an impression of several life-devotees, bachelors in the Sangh, working as pracharaks but thereafter, I came to realise that I could not go to that extent of devotion, particularly in the background that I wished to continue the rest of my life as a medical practitioner and for a practitioner from many angles a household is a must which cannot be without a wife. My father also warned me that if I was to be a practitioner, I must marry as this was also necessary from the point of view of lady patients which in course of my service at the CCL, Ranchi I found to be correct.
            I also felt that I was a man who never did even simple marketing and the life would be difficult if I remained a bachelor. Though even today, I do not consider the wife as a mere companion in western connotation, I can say that every individual in fact needs companionship of one who becomes part and parcel of the other.
            My uncle (the eldest brother of my father), Himkar Thakur (Sharma), had unexpectedly started correspondence with me when I had written to him for blessings after passing my MD. Just to close the prolonged correspondence, I had written to him that if my goal was achieved and I could find a suitable girl, I could marry. He died after few months and before his death he had assured my parents that I had agreed to marry. My parents had already been much worried and on my previous declaration that I would not marry, my younger brother, Shubhakar was married on the 26th May 1985.
  
            I had pressure from my teachers, their wives and other well-wishers from all quarters, but the last push was from fellow medicos, more importantly from those who were the eldest in their families to get a bhabhi. So the effort in making me agree came in the final stage more from the youngsters than from the elders. They were very particular about their bhabhiji.
            I started thinking that I must have a house where they could get affection apart from guidance or help. Sweets were possible only from sweet bhabhi; from me they could expect only commands full of tasks. The incongruity in my behaviour, I started finding were partly due to lack of affections showered on me in my early childhood under the family circumstances and my ambitions for activities - social, intellectual as well as career-bound efforts. This sprouting of thinking compelled me more so to a life with a home, hearth and a keen wife.
            After the Jamshedpur conference, the rejuvenation of the NMO took a nationwide shape. It seemed that the chapter of study and struggle was over. I had the requisite degree any medico dreams of and an honour in social life, a worker can expect. Thus, I started talking positively of marriage. In June 1986, at Ranchi, I had talked to the father of a DMC medico girl in an equivocal tone, asking to wait for    a few months.
            Then I thought, if I could marry a medico, she could co-operate with me in all the spheres of life - reading and writing; clinic and service camps; enjoying travels for the meetings and conferences (even in odd situations, say in winter in Kashmir or in summer in Kerala, though usually they are planned to suit the convenience). Certainly, I had neither intention nor imagination to marry a medico, just as many people do, considering her a golden-egg-delivering hen.
            But finding such a virtuous girl was not easy. I had also a premonition that as per our scriptures, birth, death, marriage, etc. are all fixed in heaven and so I had no faith in pick and choose, particularly as a social worker, I thought that it would be a gross violation of morality if a groom chooses a bride as a commodity in the market.
            Since my younger brother was married, I was out of the list of the eligible grooms among relatives and persons connected with us. So, also to broaden the field, Vijay Raj and Suhash published advertisements in The TOI’s matrimonial columns. The response was enormous but my would-be sweet heart was not among them.
  
            In September 1988, an old gentleman, Chakra Pani Jha, a freedom fighter, came to me at Ranchi with a proposal for his grand-daughter, a student of the AMC, Dibrugarh, appearing for final MBBS. They were from the neighbourhood of my ancestral village too and talks proceeded up to the stage of the meeting of the would-be couple.
Excerpts from the matrimonial interview :
(Residence of Dr. Sujit Dhar, Calcutta, 16th December 1988)
Mr. M.N. Jha (father of the girl): - “Dolly, We have already discussed a lot. You both should talk now, and then only matter can proceed. Would you like to talk?”
Dr. Sujit Dhar: - “Yes! Yes!! They are to live their lives. We are merely instrumental.”
Dolly: - “Yes I’ll talk.”
Dhanakar: - “Though I had occasions to talk to girls for other purposes but for marriage this is maiden occasion. In this connection, I had seen a girl (at Nagpur), but she was not aware of it. Any way as you please.”
Dolly: - “I’ve also not talked to any boy in the past about it.”
(Mrs. M.N. Jha takes Dolly and her sister Sudha into the adjacent chamber of Dr. Dhar and comes out leaving both sisters with Dhanakar)
Dhanakar: - “I’ve nothing to ask. You have already told your option for the subject of your MD (PSM), etc. Better you ask.”
Dolly: - “My papa-mummy can’t afford a dowry. They’ve spent a lot on my education.”
Dhanakar: - “This is irrelevant and unwarranted in my case. I’ve already told your parents and others that I am rather a critic of dowry. Women’s education is the answer to it though there are many other points as well.”
Dolly: - “I am very anxious.”
Dhanakar: - “It seems you couldn’t sleep in the night. Anyway you will be happy afterwards.”
Dolly (shyly): - “Maithils use to marry at an early age. Mummy has been asking me for long as to when I would marry. Why did you not?”
Dhanakar: - “So many factors: MD, service, stability and something more important than these - some other project’s (the NMO’s) stability but anyhow the most important thing was not having a meeting with you.”

Dolly (internally pleased and externally shy): -”Your date of birth?”
Dhanakar: - “Ist August.”
(Dolly and Sudha are counting, Leo, etc.)
Dhanakar: - “I do not believe in those. Anyway which colour do you like?”
Dolly: - “Maroon.”
Dhanakar: - “What is it?”
Dolly: - “Deep red.”
Dhanakar: - “Like the sari you have put on.”
Dolly: -”Yes.”
Dhanakar: - “Which flower you like most?”
Dolly: - “Rajanigandha. Do you like music?”
Dhanakar: - “Not much. Sometimes I listen to it. These days TV has a serial on Mirza Ghalib.”
Dolly: - “A promise?”
Dhanakar: - “Please say. But I do not hope, if I ask not to do something, you will desert me like the Ganga of the Mahabharat.”
Dolly: - “I’ll do my internship at Dibrugarh. Will you have any objection?”
Dhanakar: - “You do it anywhere in the country. I’ve no objection, not only for the internship but also for the PG.”
Dolly: - “I’ll learn music.”
Dhanakar: - “Anybody should have freedom to learn anything. See, these are trifling matters. After marriage, the joint decisions are taken. Rabindranath Tagore (Rabi Thakur) had differentiated between friendship and love. In friendship 1+1 (pointing to himself and
Sudha) =2 and in love 1+1 (pointing to himself and Dolly) = 1. After marriage, two shores meet to become one. It is not necessary that one may have luxury but life should be peaceful, full of love, may be only for a few days. You come from Assam. Day before yesterday, on TV, did you see Lohit Kinare (Life after marriage was of a few days and husband died of illness; her friend’s husband was wealthy but he did not give love. The second friend told the first, ‘e­ven for a few days, your husband had  loved you. You are thus fortunate but I am not so.’)?

            The life of a person like me is full of difficulties. You are seeing the pictures of Swami Vivekananda and the Vivekananda Rock Memorial, Kanyakumari, under the table-glass. Dr. Dhar had worked a lot for its foundation. I am also involved in such other project  (I meant, the NMO). This life is full of difficulties. It is, however, another matter is that we both being doctors can fulfill the minimum needs of   life, still...
            As far as I am concerned, I’ve nothing to say. Decision is yours. What can I tell you about me in 15 minutes on which a sketch of  250 pages I’ve drafted already. Whatever your parents and grand-parent say, follow them, since they have observed me for a longer period. Don’t worry about me, what will happen to me (if you say  a ‘no’). Well let us go.”
            And, Dolly (Suman Jha), gave her consent to her guardians for marriage with me.
            That night, I proceeded to the VSS Medical College, Burla in Orissa to attend the NMO’s Annual Day Celebrations, having no sleep in the night remembering the day and my destiny and Dolly, whose photograph my mother-in-law had given to me at Howrah station but missed to bring sweets, a mere formality.
            When I returned to Ranchi, everybody was happy. Suhash and Satish mainly shouldered the preparations. The Central Executive Committee Meeting of the NMO scheduled during January 16-17, 1989 was postponed to January 23-24 to enable                 all friends to be present in our marriage on the 23rd January also.
            I had a grand meeting with Dolly in the night, sandwiched between those two days of the NMO meeting.
            I do not know whether such a large number of medicos of all strata would have attended any marriage where the groom was not from their own institution. Dignitaries including many senior doctors of the town were present apart from Dr. Abaji Thatte, Nagpur, Dr. Sujit Dhar, Calcutta and Dr. Dilip Kumar Sarker, Silchar. My invitation card was printed in Sanskrit and people had followed the request printed on the card to bless only and not to bring any gift.








                                                                                Fig. 31 _ My marriage card in Sanskrit.



            The marriage was held at Ranchi as per Hindu-Maithil rituals and I obeyed every command of my in-laws, as already promised to Suhash and Satish.
            My parents, uncle, Madhukar Thakur, (who was also my Acharya of yajnopavit) and almost all the members of my family had come to bless except my revered elder brother. Earlier I had a lot of discussion both hot and harsh with him on the question of my marriage without a dowry.  His thinking was that if done so, our sisters’ marriages would not be possible. As such my marriage without any dowry was too harsh for him to accept. The result was, he did not attend my marriage. However, as a social worker, I had presented an example.
            My sister, Indu’s marriage was also solemnised only after few days from my marriage day and with handsome dowry to which I also contributed, out of my savings from my salaries.
            I do repeat that marriages are made in the Heaven and that could not be altered. Rhythmically, my marriage was followed by the marriage of my sister, which I could not attend, but nothing stopped my sister’s marriage despite my dowry-less marriage, held earlier to her.


Post-script
ns[kh gS rwus
D;k ukxQuh\
ruk ekaly
iÙks gq, dkaVs
'kq"d çse dh
e#Hkwfe esa mith ukxQuh!
nks"k ugha gS bl nzqe dk
u gh bl vUR;t ds iwoZt dk
vHkkoksa dh e#---m"ek esa
dSls nzqe gks jtuhxa/kk\
ukxQuh ds Hkh vkrs olUr
I;kjs ihys Qwy
ij gj Qwy Qy ns
,sls mlds HkkX; dgk¡\                           Fig. 32 --- Dr. Suman Jha, MBBS                                 
                                                                                Whom I married as a token of love and affection to the junior                                                                                                medicos of the country and she had also later initiated a unit of                                                                              the NMO at Dibrugarh.
xyrQgeh gks x;h Fkh eq>s xqykc dh
dkaVksa ds ljrkt jktdqekj dh
ij eSa rks Bgjk vUR;t ukxQuh
dksbZ esjh jtuh lqxfU/kr dj ns
,sls esjs HkkX; dgk¡\
      & /kukdj Bkdqj
26-2-1989 ¼MkWyh ds tUefnu ij½


Have you seen
The Nagphani?
Fleshy stems
Leaves modified to thorns
Nagphani (cactus) grown
In the deserts of dry love!
Not the fault of this shrub
Nor this low-born’s ancestors
In the hot-desert of dearth
How can Rajanigandha grow?
Spring comes to Nagphani also
Lovely yellow blooms
But for every flower to bear fruit
Is not its fortune?
I had miscomprehension of a rose
The prince with the thorny crown
But I’m, the poor Nagphani
Could one make my nights fragrant?
Alas! Such is not my fortune.
  -Dhanakar Thakur
26.2.1989 (on Dolly’s birthday)


               



                My wife deserted me soon seeing my deep involvement in social work and hastily concluding that I would not earn for an affluent life forgetting her own immense potentialities and just as if :
^^,d /kuoku dh csVh us fu/kZu dk nkeu NksM+ fn;k A
pkanh dh nhokj u rksM+h] I;kj Hkjk fny rksM+ fn;kAA**
(A rich man’s daughter had left a lover in poverty.)
— the first ever movie-song, I remember, that I listened to at Bhitthi chowk (in Madhubani district of Mithila) during my adolescence.




This life is a journey from beginning to end
Always in motion, forever, moving on, on, on
It’s a journey through time, emotions and faith
Concluded so quickly, leaving so much to be done.
Fig. 33 _ Miss Dolly’s earliest presentation to me_the New Year Card.
            Underlining mine, indicating the tragic end of our marriage though I tried to save it till the end, despite several threats to my life and honour, as I did not give consent for divorce as I had given a word to Chakra Pani Jha, my maternal grandfather-in-law.
            My stand had been as Christ had on the Cross-, “Forgive them for they know not what they are doing” while I was recalling every moment, “Blow, blow thou winter wind thou art not so unkind as a man’s (in my case a woman’s) ingratitude”, of William Shakespeare that I read during matriculation (SSC) classes.
  
            Our community’s senior elders like Gauri Mishra, SEWA (Self-Employed Women’s Association) Mithila, and C.S. Jha, ex-CMD, BCCL, B.P. Jha, ex-ADM, Palamau, Dr. Guneshwar Jha, ex-HOD, Geology, Ranchi University, apart from villagers of Hissar in Madhubani district to which late Chakra Pani Jha belonged and notably his nephew Jibeshwar Jha tried their best for reconciliation but it was a woman’s obstinate, ‘No’, from a complex originated during her childhood’s emotional deprivation by parents (which she had herself told me and also written to me) with their son preference attitude resulting in a bigger size of family coupled with a war between the spiritualism and materialism which thrust upon me an unfortunate legal wrangle, despite the truth being on my side, the Judiciary passed a verdict in her favour, annulling the marriage even though the process of reconciliation was still on.
            A few days back, I listened in a TV serial on Charitraheen of Sharatchandra, an actor telling, “A lie has only importance in the courts” and even after a century it hold water.
            The names too have significance. Dolly is the famous name of the first man-made, genetically cloned sheep in England. In the same Calcutta where Dolly was born and brought up, the other Dolly, daughter-in-law of Jyoti Basu had filed a suit for divorce. Einstein was also divorced by his Dolly. Their love letters were put on to auction but mine would have been thrown into the coal hearths of my in-laws (my father-in-law was a top official of the Coal India Limited). B. N. Jha, an advocate told me that in a particular year in the Ranchi District Court five out of eight lady petitioners seeking divorce were, by name, Dolly and hence, he got the name of his daughter changed to Preyasi  who was also a Dolly.  A doll always moves on the extraneous stimulus not on the inner call of the heart but marriage is not a doll’s game.
            Chakra Pani Jha had presented me a watch. It stopped as its battery was exhausted. When I went to Sayonara watch-shop at Ranchi, the mechanic had gone out and it could not be replaced. I did not know that Chakra Pani Jha’s best gift to me (Dolly) had already told me, “Sayonara (good-bye)” and knowing it the same evening, I decided not to use the watch or any other thing from them; a few petty presentations however are still with me. The first thing I put aside in my quarters was a knife which Dolly’s mother had given me along with fruits in the RMC Hostel. Later using that knife in the kitchen,   I had been imagining as if the food was being cooked with the assistance of her daughter.

  
            The same evening, Dr. K. K. Sinha who had also graced my marriage told me, “It was an accident in your life and better forget it.” He was correct. It took me long to recover from this unfortunate torpor and I kept remembering the words of wisdom:
            “The psychological problems of the adult — the anxiety state, the aggressiveness, the marital unhappiness — have their origin in early life. The seeds of personality disorders and of social problems, of juvenile delinquency, divorce, illegitimacy, selfishness, dishonesty and war are sown in the first three or four years.
            R. Illingworth, Normal Child in the Chapter — The Basis of Behaviour, Churchill Livingstone 1986: page 236. (The bold typeset mine).
            The only people who win in divorces are the lawyers.
            Dr. John F. Knight, Family Medical Care, Vol. I, Signs Publishing Company, Warburton, Victoria, Australia, 1982: page 37.
  
            Misery is not always a misfortune.”
            Dr. S. Radhakrishnan.
    On 13th September 2000, at the Patna High Court, affidavits on compromise petitions were signed by me and Dr. Suman Jha (though she could appear in Madhubani court to record compromise affidavit in the cases only on 7.10.2002, keeping me and my family in agony), who by this time had become the second wife of a widower doctor and had also a baby from him.
When Ramchandra Jha, Advocate, Madhubani Court, a friend of her father, finally asked me to have a cup of tea, I told him that the last cup of tea, I had taken with Dolly (at Dibrugarh).  Then we took soft drink. I told him to communicate to them (my ex-in-laws) that I had never worked or had done anything against their interest despite provocations and I had contested the divorce case only because I had held Dolly’s hands before the sacred fire during marriage and further  I had given a promise to late Chakra Pani Jha that in no case I would leave her in the lurch. I also told Ramchandra Jha that he was the only person, who, if had intervened earlier, the story would have been different. Ramchandra Jha averred, “You had kept your character.”
  
    It was the same Ramchandra Jha who in a case lodged against me stated falsely that I had stolen his old watch and the Magistrate on the false evidence of several advocates issued hurriedly a warrant against me in which I could get a bail with great difficulty. Ironically a man like me who had presided over a meeting only 79 days earlier at Hyderabad, on 28.1.1996 (where the chief guest was Hon’ble Chief Justice of the A. P. High Court, P. S. Mishra) was maligned and charged at Madhubani for stealing an old watch of worth Rs. 300 !
    In fact, the story of the matrimonial case reads like a cinema script. In brief, its presentation may be educative for anyone. In February 1996, in a late night, my cousin Ramakar Thakur telephoned me that a divorce suit was posted on the ex-parte judgment on 16.2.1996.  When I asked for leave on phone, the then CMO, at Ranchi thought that there was something wrong with the health of my parents.
 I thought, like in a cinema both parties would be in the docks and so I appeared in the court in the same dress in which I had seen her for the first time on 16.12.1988 at Calcutta. In fact, she had washed and pressed that shirt and had told me not to wear it and keep it preserved as a memento. But in the court, I learnt that the attendance of neither of the parties was required in a civil suit and only in criminal cases accused was required to be present. 
Probably the laws were made when people were civilized and not in the present context when most of the criminal cases are filed falsely over-burdening the courts (over three crore cases are pending in Indian courts, even the President of India has passed remarks on it but nothing tangible has been done to stop piling false cases which only harass innocent people and is a source of income to lawyers and police).
    In my case, even the civil suit for divorce was utterly false.  Neither she had mentioned that she was a doctor nor that I was a doctor, not even the place of marriage, Ranchi, was mentioned.  In my address, my ancestral village Samaul (Madhubani) was mentioned where I was not even born and all through my life, I have been using my address of Forbesganj from school admission to marriage card and she had also given the address of her ancestral place, Damodarpur though she was born at Calcutta and all through she had used the address of village Hissar of Madhubani District (the native place of her maternal grand-father) and in the registration form of the Medical Council of India it was the address of the work place of her father, Sayal Colliery in Hazaribagh district of Bihar (now in Jharkhand).

    All allegations were cooked up. Together we never went to Damodarpur or Samaul where a film like story was cooked up of dowry torture for demanding a car and desertion by me on which surprisingly the court had given her divorce despite all concrete papers like bed-head tickets of indoor patients seen and advised by me on the said dates of the dwiragman (second marriage in Maithil custom only after which the bride goes to her in-laws) and subsequent dates of dowry tortures.  The dates were cleverly chosen on holidays (of second Saturday, Sundays and Durga Puja holidays) but I as a doctor had visited the patients on almost all dates at Ranchi in the Ispat Hospital.
    Further it was alleged that I had deserted her, the story was entirely otherwise. Her letter from Dibrugarh about 26th June, 1989 to me to Ranchi, now lying in the court records states that she was leaving me for good.
    There was one more allegation from which I was absolved, as there was no eye-witness that I had illicit relations with my elder brother’s wife.  She was made a party to the case but the fabricators did not know even her name. The case mentioned an imaginary name of ‘Kalpana’ Thakur (She, in fact, is Dr. Kalyani Thakur, MA, PhD). The only proofs were some inland letters Dolly had sent which were said to be posted from Samaul to her father and Ramchandra Jha, bearing some tampered illegible postal marks.
    But a postcard having clear postal stamp, from my father to me, for fixing a date of the dwiragman, was not accepted true by the court, as my mother had identified it without wearing glasses. The procedure is followed in the courts is that somebody should identify the writings (whether he/she is known/unknown to the party is immaterial).
    It was pathetic that a doctor had written with her own hands such filthy letters. My friend Ravi Shankar Prasad, a senior advocate of the Patna High Court and later an MP and Minister of State (Independent Charge, Govt. of India) reading those letters told me to forsake such girl immediately, but I had a Gandhian notion, ‘Hate the sin, not the sinner’ and every act/misdeed of her, I wanted to correct with my love and sacrifice.

    In fact, while at Dibrugarh’s East End Hotel, she had told me that she loved someone else.  I told her that I, as a priest would perform marriage-rites if, the said boy (a ‘housesurgeon’) truly loved her. I met the boy but he apologized with folded hands, “Sir, you are like an elder brother, there is nothing like it.”  But he told a lie that he would be leaving by the Brahmputra Mail in a First Class coach, berth no. 34.  Later I pondered, it must be a Sleeper Class (First Class has A to H maximum) and just to see him off from Dibrugrah, I went to Tipong, to my in-laws’ cousin and informed all to my mother in-law. 
But when I returned to Sayal, I was scolded for going to stay in a Class IV employee’s quarters at Tipong. Later I was told not to visit their house at Sayal even when Dolly was ill.  Though it was said to me that she would commit suicide if I went to meet her but in fact, they were buying time so that I might settle in practice but ‘healing time’ is really a ‘killing time’ for any matrimonial relation and parents should not interfere in young couples’ affairs.
    My own assumption is that she was psychologically a destitute, deprived of love in her early years by parents and in fact, grand-parents’ undue love in compensation resulted in further emotional immaturity in her.  It was because her mother was the only issue of her grandparents (maternal) who never went to her in-laws’ village to live and it was also reflected in Dolly’s emotional personality. 
Anyway, Dolly went to my village, Samaul, after filing two false criminal cases of dowry torture just to see how the small building and location of Samaul was, for any possible interrogation in court and it was said that she had also photographed the house.  My relatives thought that she was a patient who had come for consultation from my father and that being too in salwar-suit their assumption of her being a Muslim patient was not unnatural. She had also threatened me on phone but was mum when I met her last in a Darbhanga watch-shop.  I told her, “Best of luck.” 
    The first criminal case she filed on the day of reconciliation alleging the imaginary events of dowry torture five years earlier and had added that I had snatched her jewellery near Madhubani post office, one-day prior in the evening. Again, her witnesses were the learned advocates and her relatives*.
*I was absolved of the case  on 12.5.2007 after her prolonged non-appearance in the court.
  
Taking the advantage of my presence in the court at Madhubani, her ‘uncle’ advocate also filed the case of watch stealing. And, after a month she filed another fake case of dowry torture alleged again to have happened on a Sunday and on that day I was at Ranchi concluding my final examination held by the Computer Society of India for a course on computers.  She not only accused me, my old parents but also my youngest unmarried sister, who at that time was a teacher at Satna  in M.P.*
    My sister became the worst victim as we were forced to keep her away at Satna for long to avoid any police action and being involved in these cases my family could hardly pay due attention for seeking  a suitable groom for her. And, they played all these nefarious games after the marriage of Sudha, (Dolly’s younger sister), though she always sided with me and appreciated my love for Dolly. But society is a double-edged sword – Sudha could be married easily being the daughter of  an affluent father (who had became so in the intervening years and was alleged to be also involved in several crore rupees scams as  per newspaper reports (the Ranchi Express November 5-8,1995),

  



Fig. 34 _ Piparwar Project Scam (courtesy, the Ranchi Express Nov. 5-8.1995).

though I was never part of those publications, probably my in-laws thought so as        
I was close to the newspaper’s proprietor, who had also attended my marriage).
*We were absolved of the case on 24.5.2003, after her prolonged non-appearance in the court.


    My sister’s marriage proposals were denied at many places due to my marriage break-up.  I remembered poet Vrinda’s saying, written in medieval days,‘^rhu nckcr fuldfga] jktk] ikrd] jksx* (King or law, sins and diseases afflict the poor). At least in my case, the law took a heavy toll on me though I got a character certificate even from the architect of the whole show Ramchandra Jha and my health remained good throughout. Dolly required alprazolam’s 5-6 tablets a day (one of her distantly related brother told me so quoting my mother-in-law).
On the day the judgment of the divorce suit , I was more anxious than I was on the result day of my  MD . I left my chamber at Ranchi without telling anyone, leaving the patients. When my cousin Ramakar Thakur informed me on the phone that her petition had been allowed at Madhubani, I told him that I would appeal in the Patna High Court.
    I feel, the rotten medical examination system, described in earlier chapters is still far better than our legal system.  No doubt, our High and Supreme Courts have an international credence but justice delayed is justice denied. My first appeal could get the first date only after about two years’ time and taking advantage of the law that one could marry after six months or one year, she got remarried probably at Vindhyachal (where we could not go even after honeymooning for several nights at Satna, not able to catch the early morning train for several days). 
I think God/Goddess punishes the sinner, again I was weaker here and after this remarriage my mother-in-law was reported to have visited Baidyanath Dham with kanwar – who can be more liberal than Ashutosh – I have been observing several religious rituals, including the most arduous, Chhath fast for several consecutive years but again I am yet to see any fruitful result. Of course, these fasts and simple life made me healthier – my fasting blood sugar 77, serum cholesterol 142, serum triglyceride 69, and HDL and LDL cholesterol 40 and 89 respectively (all mg per cent). The other day my younger colleague measured my blood pressure as 110/70 mmHg, lower than many ladies.
    And when I had been under the terror of a warrant with processes under attachment (kurki-jabti), the court as per records sent summons to my improper address but never to my actual address – I never received summons. One lawyer told me that for any criminal case it is managed by the party not to deliver summons but a warrant.
Fig. 35--- Our Lower Judiciary! (Courtesy, The Times of India, 29.01.04).

     When I approached an additional district judge, known to me, he told me, “Getting a bail is easier in a murder case than in  a dowry case of 498 (A). In U.P., one can get it easily but not in Bihar as two judges of the Patna High Court had written against the SDJMs/district judges who had given bails to some accused persons. Maybe, they had experienced some such dowry torture in their own families.  It was as if you had your pocket picked and you were denying bails to every pick-pocket. You will not get bail by the district court, particularly once the anticipatory bail was rejected, so go for compromise which is the only solution.”
    That judge offered me night stay but I felt that I must stay somewhere else, I preferred to stay in the house of Binod Thakur, my old ‘compounder’ of Gangta More dispensary who also agreed to spend some time with me for social service at that place.
    I was meandering in the Raj of Justice and felt I could not get justice. In fact, I also decided to leave India, which I served most dedicatedly, and become unknown again befitting the title of this book.
    But the scene was managed very efficiently by four Maithils particularly, L. N. Singh ‘Suman’ (Majhiam), B. K. Jha (Lagama) and also B. K. Jha (Manpaur), and D. Thakur (Akaur). Dr. Radha Kant Mishra (Kharka-Basant) became mediator and he approached Tarakant Jha (whose son was also my advocate), who had launched the movement for Mithila State on my request. The Maithils from Jamshedpur, Ranchi, Jainagar, etc. pressed him so much that he even offered to Dolly to be a special guest in his house and he himself dictated the compromise petition – any petition that ex-Advocate General drafted himself after 23 years. 
Two years earlier too, I had told Bhrigu Kumar Jha, cousin of my mother-in-law that since the day Dolly was remarried to someone else, my interest was lost in her just like Bhishma put his bows seeing Shikhandi, ‘a woman in the persona of a man’ but they were reluctant to come on the compromise table. And, I never took the false cases against me seriously knowing that witnesses were false (one of my villagers too had given false evidence maybe due to malice with my cousin who was managing the case at Madhubani and or had taken money which God only knew).

In spite of intimidating blank telephone calls, the SSP, Ranchi and others advised me for filing cases; I did not as I regarded them as my relatives. Her cases were managed by the same Ramchandra Jha about whom her father M. N. Jha had once told me that Ramchandra Jha had no personality and so the bus conductor had behaved shabbily with him while coming to Sayal in those days (1990-91) and Dolly’s mother was also much reluctant to lend books for mining officers’ examination to the son-in-law of Ramchandra Jha.
    Being respectable persons, lawyers should not have gone so deep as to plot an ex-parte, matrimonial suit. When I told a young lawyer of the Ranchi Bench of Patna High Court to file a jurisdiction petition, he also took my money but did nothing. He had come to me as a friend of my youngest brother while he was at the JNU, New Delhi. At Madhubani too, I had mixed experience of law persons. In court, bribery is given in several names and I found the villagers lose much of their small earnings in the courts and to the police. My opinion is cases are deterrents to the social development as are the social customs of dowry, shraddha and yajnopavit (as was also told by Jay Prakash Narayan).
    Since the lawyers are not a salaried class, some of them take up and cook up any type of case.  There are some doctors who refrain from abortions but there are hardly such lawyers who would not take up divorce cases. In my opinion, it is because while a doctor takes an oath to save life, the lawyers do not take oath to save justice but they work for the interest of the clients leading to prolonged and undue litigations. What Prof. Rajendra Singh told in the NMO’s function on 14th January, 1978, at Darbhanga, echoes in my mind that a doctor and a teacher do not thrive on other’s weaknesses like a lawyer whom he preferred to call, parkalah upjivi – a saprophyte on others’ malice?
    I know medical profession too is vitiated but still the Medical Council of India would not take up the case so late as the Bar Council of India had taken on my complaint only on 1st August, 2002, after around five years, on my appeal against a lawyer for filing a false case, which I had to withdraw on 7.10.2002 under the verbal terms of the compromise to end my all pending cases, including that of the so called watch-stealing case. He had been insistently demanding Rs.7500 for compromising the cases, which I considered as’ black mailing’ and refused to give. He had already taken Rs.1250 from my cousin for sending someone to Dr. Suman Jha for signing the papers.

But, neither Mr. Ramchandra Jha withdrew his fake case nor the Bar Council of India took cognizance on my petition though it listened to my points, which were only truths.
    Today, I feel the futility of my complaint against Ramchandra Jha who was ‘used’ by my cunning in-laws, who with their ill-gotten money (as per newspaper’s reports) felt this was only the go of life.
    Still today, I am revered in her ancestral villages __ Hissar and Damodarpur and everyone gives me much more respect than any son-in-law could get in normal circumstances.  And, all rumours spread against me that I was mad, I was impotent, etc. passed off the day the lady got re-married to someone else.  Yes, I had to go there and show them her very personal letters to me...  “I do not want to conceive till my MD.” Sorry, the victim of bad parentage, Dolly, could not get through for an MD, which she would have done in normal course. She could have risen to the zenith of worldly success, which was prevented, due to her involvement in undue affairs, legal and or otherwise. A charming Piscean according to Chero has to get some matrimonial adversities but a Leonine is only suited to her as a partner for her torrential success which I could have been with the given patience...
    In these circumstances one comes near to astrological predictions.  I was not immune to it. Having seen and read in my horoscope, ^L=hykHk%^ (Shtreelabhah) in 2000-2004, I was perpetuating the law suits but   I was not knowing that she might not be the same woman and when she got remarried, I started searching for the other. 
Though I met several.... S., MBBS, all of a sudden came and stayed with my sister (I remained at my Hospital) who required someone to care for her growing daughter; R., MD, a gold medallist had asked me in 1988 also whether I smoked? She told me not to leave the service and she would also not leave her mother deserted by her husband; R., an IRS  (told me on phone), three years senior to me, would have liked me if   I   had a child;  A. and Shukla, both teachers and K., a divorcee Brahmin local clerk, had also passed their child-bearing age; an orphan R., MD, could not be convinced by her friend Lolly that I was suitable;  T.,  MD,    a   Gold Medallist,  being   non-Brahmin was difficult to accept till my sister was married;  R., a banker could not impress me; M., MBA, though I  liked her, she did not;  S.,  MD,  her parents liked but I could not decide;
                                                                                                      
M., an officer, had brought up her sisters and brother but I had more shraddha for her than love; P., MCh, I liked her most but she didn’t;    P., an orphan preferred her job; S., a journalist could not convince me that she worked for the London Times. S.S., an editor, S.T., MBBS,could not attract me'; M., MD's parents weighed our age-difference; on the same day at Bangalore, in the same restaurant, 'Sukhsagar', I met R.V. , an MBA,(though already a few months back my proposal had been gracefully rejected by her), S. V., a textile  entrepreneur(having two daughters)whom I counselled not to for remarriage; PP, a Punjabi, working in HR,at Gurgaon, came to meet me at Sahara Mall but seeing me bald and aged did not like to talk further  which did not deter L., MSc, LLB, a beauty queen, introduced to me by a friend at Patna (in fact, she was on telephone  at the Nivedita Ashram when one call from the Ispat Hospital found number long engaged which made a furore) but my youngest brother and sister had reservation for a Punjabi  and non-Brahmin. I too did not like her mood of revenge to her ex-husband by pressing for his conviction.
    Searching for an ideal life-partner is not easy. It was not earlier also when Dolly had chosen me finally. Among medico maithils, guardians of R. withdrew though she wrote a letter in The Indian Nation that boys are recalcitrant for dowry; S.’s father finally got my reply in 1982 that I would not marry for few years; N.’s father thought that being a vegetarian I would not suit her (I saw her with Sudha later in Calcutta who told me that she wanted to enjoy the life); K.’s father felt leaving the CCL’s job at Ranchi was not good; father of ...Thakur of Bokaro counted my hairs on bald skull; R.’s father (the only doctor father of a medico girl proposed to me) had to withdraw under unforeseen circumstances; R.’s family members felt that I was not  a normal being who was inclined to marry in Vindhyanchal without any dowry; negotiations with a Ranchi lady lawyer’s daughter N., a DMC medico, did not go ahead and ultimately my destiny was Dolly who gave me a lesson ........... NARI HAI APARAJITA.
    Yes, a woman is invincible!  The world is beneath her toes.  She can do many Mahabharatas or Odysseys but she is also the cause of the Ramayana.
    And, I did not know that the panorama of my life was not a cinema but it was for God’s vision of the Ramayana’s Mithila, to come on the map again and this time it was by a Hanuman who in the subsequent years (being a Maithiliputra) started working for it with the desire to get his bachelordom abandoned.  So, I came to the Maithils that they would intervene socially which was a major factor for my initiation in Maithili work and my interest in art, culture and music was to amuse Dolly that she had left someone who had turned into a neo-Kalidas, (historical Kalidas worked as a helper boy in the gurukul of Damodarpur i.e. the ancestral place of Dolly). But it is Kaliyug and though Maithils tried hard, they could not win back my wife nor could they provide another one who could be suitable for me.

    But, the movement for Mithila Rajya has marched ahead and if there can be a great thing as Mithila State, this sacrifice of mine is not great. Similar has been the history of the medicos’ movement.  The NMO has come of age against all odds and it is now a national movement.  And, I will never say that a medico cannot be a good house-wife also and hence, my preference is still for a medico as a life-companion but can I find a virtuous scholar medico like one S.,M.S.(E.N.T.), cousin of Ravi Shastri the ‘cricketer’, who had written on 12.7.1979 in her autobiography at the age of 18 describing her birth... “At the dark hour of 0400, on a new-moon night, my mother was awakened by me...........”, and finally presumes............... “All teenagers dream; especially the girls.  I often stretch my mind into the future, wandering along the years to come, filling them with events and imageries; people and their profiles, who all am I going to meet, professionally and socially, who are going to be my best friends in the decades ahead; and my husband, his (and to be my) near and dear ones; my children and their friends.  The excitement of the future is that it is unknown; yet we have a large hand in moulding it. As long as we have the will to act and the wisdom to accept the results, it is going to be good and great...........”
    The negotiation did not proceed further as I could not think of going to settle at Bangalore since the NMO was working mainly in Bihar* at that time. Today, I can go anywhere, but is too late in the day at 49. I am not a Salman Rushdie, 53 that I may be attracted, by a girl of 29, I told this to vivacious Yogita Mehra in a Bombay bus but unfortunately I lost her E-mail address.
    I may like today to marry in a Mithila village but can I get  a suitable match there?  My life events may take a turn and as an astrologer had predicted that by 2007, India would be too small for my work and by 2016, I would take renunciation............. I do not know the meaning of these predictions but I believe to do whatever is assigned to /presented before me and I never refuse any duty or social work though I cannot make everyone happy.
    And, hence, though the torture of the marriage was too much for my family and me particularly for my old mother, I have no grievance against anyone including the creators of the ‘Raj’ of Justice.
*including Jharkhand
  
    John Milton, ‘Christian-humanist-poet-priest’ being perturbed by the life style of his royalist first wife filed the first ever divorce suit in an English court but he was not granted a divorce. Centuries after, I found just the opposite in my case–a lady from an orthodox Maithil Brahmin community seeking a divorce on no valid ground on which  a Hindu marriage can be annulled in fact, but getting it on concocted ones.  Rightly, Milton was probably against the women’s education who wrote, “one tongue for a lady is enough why should she have another” but I, as a social worker feel, women’s’ education with good sanskaras is needed for the development of the mankind and, hence, I try to search again for a fairly educated girl.
Of course, the ‘criminalisation’ of civil divorce case was pathetic and would go against the cause of women on several scores.  And, when I signed the affidavit at the Patna High Court accepting the decree of divorce, like a judge after writing a death sentence breaks the pen, I tried to give that ball-pen to Ramchandra Jha, (only due to him she could get the divorce) but he did not accept it and then I gave it to the clerk-girl of the High Court who checked the affidavits ............... “ysf[kuh iqfLrdk ukjh] ijgLrk xrk% xrk%(Lekhini, Pustika, Nari  Parhasta Gatah Gatah --- Pen, book and wife, once gone to other’s possession are gone for good).
    My wife had already gone to someone else, borne a child, yet I have the book (the wisdom) with me and when I returned to Ranchi my old mother told me with a deep sigh, “Now even the namesake relation with Dolly is over.” I told her that it was already over once she had accepted someone else.  Any wound leaves a scar which these words in print would bear a testimony to it for all time to come.

    lko/kku! dgha vki Hkkjrh; ukfj;ksa ds vUr%dj.k esa fLFkr fookg dh ifo=rk vkSj R;kxe; thou dh Js"Brk dh tM+ u [kksn nsaA mUgksaus ;qxksa-;qxksa ls vius vkn’kksZa dks mUur j[kk gS( ifr-çse dks ,d vk/;kfRed 'kfDr ds :i esa latks;k gS( u dsoy dke okluk vFkok lkalkfjd lq[k ds :i esaA lko/kku! vki dgha muds le{k fo"k; lq[kksa dks vk/;kfRed lq[k ls vf/kd eksgd vkSj lq[k lqfo/kk ,oa Hkksx-foykl ds thou dks LodrZO; vkSj LokFkZR;kx ds thou ls vf/kd vkd"kZd :i esa çLrqr u dj nsaA ukfj;k¡ Hkkjr dks iru ls cpk,saxh] fdUrq os ukfj;k¡ ugha ftuds vkn’kZ vour gq;s gSaA
¼Mk0 ,uh cslsaV] fookg dk fgUnq vkn’kZ] tkx`fr izdk’ku] ,Q&109] lSdVj&27] ukS,Mk&201301 ( 1992 % i`"B 37½

No comments: