Thursday, December 13, 2018

CHAPTER IV MY PRE-CLINICAL DAYS (1973-75)


CHAPTER IV

MY PRE-CLINICAL DAYS
(1973-75)

    The British Model of initiation in Medicine is the worst that I can think of.  The dream of being a doctor is marred on seeing a dead body to dissect.  The corpses of heirless persons fail to evoke the Human Bondage* a medical student is expected to have with the patients in future and more so in a society of ours where bone and organ sellers are available in every City of Joy not to talk of Dominique’s Wife of Job Charnock – Calcutta.
    The best bones used to come in our state from Calcutta and for corpses, the poverty of Mithila had unending reservoir.  White-clean apron was stressed more than the dignity of the dead, a new edition of Dadhichi, to provide us, vajra of knowledge. And, naturally the wisdom and humanity are rare commodities seen and found among doctors.
    In medieval days, the knowledge of Anatomy was gathered by dissecting the slaves.  Not many changes we see even today despite the fact that models and dummies could be equally good, as the finest dissecting exercises of Cunningham had long lost importance in the surgical theaters. One of my tutors, Dr. U. P. Singh used to remark, on the bold-typed description of an abnormal obturator artery, “More ink has been shed than the blood for it, if it is cut, you can tie it” – diathermy was not popular in those days and, of course, this intelligent teacher was a surgeon, not an anatomist.
    Most of the good young teachers were passing their days, waiting for a call for the clinical subjects.  Probably, this is one of the reasons for falling standards of these subjects; most of the pre-clinical teachers of long duration were from the frustrated lots, the reasons may be known only to them.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* The autobiographic novel of Somerset Maugham
  
Also some were good, talented and inspiring.  I was told by an old staff of dissection-hall that a personality not less than Prof. N. L. Mitra had himself supervised the museum to make it up-to-date, before he left for Ranchi.  He once chided this old man, “Rahman Saheb, you have put the cup of tea, on the dissection table, where the revered body of the departed soul lies.” Later, I knew Prof. Mitra had Honours in Surgery, but his father, a Government servant counted that by joining Anatomy N. L. will be a Director, which he did become before retirement.  But everyone was not N. L. Mitra.  If one would have asked a rickshaw-puller to go to the quarters of our Anatomy Prof. B. N. Sinha, he must have taken him to the palatial building of the professor of Medicine, B. N. Sinha.
    Later, I had also seen the full skeleton of a doctor, Hukum Singh Virk, in the Govt. Medical College, Amritsar hanging with due honour in the museum.
    The centenary issue of The Medical Annual analyzed the developments in Medicine in the preceding 100 years in three phases—knowledge of Anatomy, Physiology and the bombardment by Electronics.  Why it has not been appreciated, that I cannot say?  (The Annual also stated that the greatest discovery of 100 years is the search of the fact that glucose is absorbed faster with sodium – Oral Rehydration Therapy.  I think, people of Gujarat taking sugar in every food, including pulse, must be knowing it since long).
    For me, however, recognizing cutaneous nerves and remembering different relations, attachments, etc. were so boring that I used to chat with my friend Akhilesh (later he joined the BSF) in a corner, behind the almirahs. One of the friends had already lost my dissection-box and further being a vegetarian, I never liked to work with a smelling corpse. I had dissected only one day in my life, superficial fascia of thigh.  I preferred not to purchase a new scalpel and to have a bird’s eye-view on the dissected parts (by friends), to recognize structures, at the fag end of long periods, spent in gossiping.  The other four friends of my group were happy that they were having better opportunity to dissect. 
This selfish motto of medicos gets strengthened in successive years, seeing the slides under microscope in Histology or Histopathology laboratories or palpating a spleen, even of infective endocarditis, despite warnings not to do so, or on auscultation saying a ‘beautiful’ murmur. 

    I wonder, how it can be beautiful suppose you would be finding on auscultation in your own precordium any such murmur and the practice of pasting notices ‘not to disturb serious patients’ was a practice of the past. This selfish attitude results in future as professional rivalry and all sorts of negligence and malpractices in my opinion.
    I was better in Physiology and Biochemistry, I had also a notion that these were necessary for studying Medicine and to pass MRCP had become my aim like Dr. N. P. Mishra, with whose family I came in contact through my mother’s illness in those days.
    Dr. Mishap’s residence was in the neighbourhood of the Sangh Karyalya where I was residing.  His son, Belu, was attracted to me as he was to appear for the PMT.  When I asked him for an appointment from his father for the treatment of my mother, he arranged it.  I had written a detailed history of my mother’s illness, which probably impressed Dr. Mishra and I later knew in my clinical years that he was a perfect case historian.
    Gradually, my bondage with his family grew and I started to get a treatment anyone can deserve from one’s parents.  I used to read from the books of his daughter, Kumkum, (one year senior to me) but my mood was not stable.  Sometimes I had the memory of Ranchi which had become my second home so much so that in the immediate vacation I went to Ranchi and not to my parents and that agonized    Dr. B. N. Prasad and it took him much pains to explain to me the realities of social life.
    I was often thinking to leave medical science and prepare for BSc so as to compete for the UPSC.
    Dr. N. P. Mishra was a hard taskmaster.  He used to say, “Read Cunningham 100 times.” I used to reply, “I have read three times, now I cannot.” Usually Mrs. Mishra favoured me and saved me from chiding.
    I was bluffing to Dr. Mishra as well. I used to read the newspaper in his home after coming from the college.  Whenever it was late and I was guessing that he might ask me to study, I promptly used to ask the meaning of some words from the newspaper.  Being a good teacher in explaining a word he used to forget to chide (I used to ask some words which many a time I might knew already).  My bonds of relationship with his family still exist.

    Knowing that silence has power, I, once, observed silence for a whole week.  Now, I do wonder how it could be possible. After the silence, the experience was that it was difficult to speak immediately for a few moments,
    I had difficulty in following books in difficult English but I did not opt for help-books as learnt from my past experiences.  In later years, I have received this complaint from students all over the country.
    Though I was better in Physiology and Biochemistry, I could hardly pass in Anatomy.  The examiner, Prof. N. L. Mitra, chided me so much on the Histology slide that in the surface marking it was difficult for me to tell greater trochanter lies medial or lateral, whether it was out of nervousness or ignorance, I cannot recall.
    A few months before that examination, an ex-student of the college, Dr. A. N. Achari had come from the USA and had delivered a lecture on ‘neuromuscular transmission’. During the discussion, I had asked him the role of thymectomy in it.  He regretted and then clarified why he had left it but thanked me a lot for it after the lecture was over.      I was a second year student and I became hero of the evening. I had read about it in the book of Physiology. Much later, I read about Achari’s references in Brain’s Neurology.
    When I was given a slide of thymus in Histology, and as   I was trying to say those things to Prof. Mitra, neither could he comprehend nor could I answer the basics of thymic histology.
    My examination in Biochemistry was equally interesting.  The external examiner from Orissa asked me about the proximate principles of diet.  He did not protest on my inclusion of water in it and asked me about water metabolism.  Then he wanted to know the compound having lesser number of peptides than octapeptides like vasopressin, which I had already told.  I repeatedly told him that I did not know but he was adamant that I knew it, probably on the assumptions of the standard of my previous reply. Few minutes elapsed and he was about to ask me to go out that     I sparked, “Glutathione.”
    Then he asked me its chemistry. I narrated the names of amino acids, I had remembered from the first letter of the words of the name of a beautiful girl of my class, glutamyl-cysteinyl-glycine (for G. C. George, later I knew she was actually Gisy George).
  
    Then I went into the depth of the HMP shunt, etc. and when its utility in eye metabolism came, I hypothesised that in the scorching sun (like in Egypt), if glutathione metabolism was not proper, cataract might result.  Something I had read (about sunlight and Egypt in the Science Reporter), but the rest I had conjectured.  When I came to the final year, then only I could know that to a great extent I was right.  I was given the best marks (33/35) and people congratulated me. Later, I knew that surgery on the dead had little relations with the living and my professor of Surgery, H. N. Dwivedi, after internship wanted me to join Surgery, but  I was obsessed with Medicine.
    The day I entered in medical college, I could smell what ‘casteism’ is, and hitherto, I knew merely the castes.  One friend of mine, by name Ajay Kumar Jha, asked me what my name was.  Since ‘Thakur’ is an ambiguous title, he further asked the name of my father.  He had a copybook with him and probably some senior had instructed him to note the names of all Maithil Brahmin students with addresses, maybe for the matrimonial purposes or caste meetings. I told him my father’s name and the title ‘Sharma’ which was still more ambiguous for him.  I then chided him that there was no need for such rubbish things like asking caste, etc.
    At the same time my name prompted some Bhumihar students and they started showing me respect, as according to them I was the best student among them as per the PMT position.  But   I had a day-scholar friend Harsh Narayan Jha and one day we were talking in Maithili.  Soon they discovered that I was not a Bhumihar and their reverence for me vanished.
    In the Physiology Department we were asked to fill a form where caste was to be mentioned.  As per my old practice, I mentioned Hindu.  But the teacher further queried that Hindu is not a caste and on his insistence, I had to write down Brahmin.  After a few years a student strongly protested against it and this practice was abandoned. He later became an active member of the NMO – Bharat or Prabhat, I cannot recall now.
     My friend Jha introduced me to a mess named ‘Maithil Mess’. I said that Mithila was a geographical term and people of all castes inhabited the area including Brahmins and so all should be welcomed in the mess. Someone complained the matter to senior (boss). He excommunicated me from the mess and even refused to return my membership security money.  I was thinking at that time to complain to the Principal but I did not.
    I never attended any caste meeting in my whole career nor did anyone dare invite me. It was so much so that I failed to attract Maithil Brahmins even in the Sangh and later also in the NMO.
    When I came to Ranchi in 1985, some Bhumihar students were thinking that I was a Bhumihar because of my attachment with Dr. K. K. Sinha. Once, Saryu Mishra, the then Health Minister of Bihar* had come to the RMCH for inspection and in the mess   I told the boys that some years earlier there had been a proposal for my marriage with his niece.  The boys exclaimed that it could not be possible as I was a Bhumihar.  I only smiled.
    Once at Darbhanga, I had gone to meet a gentleman. I asked him, “You are a member of the governing body of the Tilak College and what inspired you to name the college after him?”  We had been, in the ABVP, observing Tilak punyatithi as ‘blood donation day’ for long, so this query came to my mind. The gentleman replied that initially they thought for the name of Pt. Ramnandan Mishra as he was from their community but Ramnandan Mishra did not agree and afterwards they could find that Tilak was also a Bhumihar, which led them to name the college after him**.  He told it quite innocently. If one happens to go to the villages, it will be found that people ask innocently, “Which Ashram you belong to?”
    But the people who discovered Gandhi was a Baniya and Maharana Pratap and Kunwar Singh were Rajputs may not be believed to be so innocents.  Believe me, there are colleges in the aforesaid names existing in the township of Darbhanga and those were named on the same basis though it does not appear so in their preambles.
* Including Jharkhand
**The college was letter renamed after the father of the donor, instead of Tilak.

One of my friends once approached me to deliver a talk on Kunwar Singh.  The celebrations were to be held in the DMC itself.  I choose the topic of the talk – Kunwar Singh: A Historical Forecaster. I spoke for 30 minutes (in candle light due to load-shedding). Presiding over the meeting, a teacher of History appreciated my talk as well as my request for maintaining silence in the meeting though electrical failure had initially caused some noise.  But later, as I could gather the motives behind organising the programme, I felt pity on myself.
    Similarly, I found the Vidyapati Samaroh organised by my caste-men. After the first day, I refrained from going there.  I am still a critic of any such function on caste basis and as also based on region or even language.  Every member of all other communities should be welcomed and invited to join even for the prasad of Chitragupta Puja or for the Sangeet Sandhya of Vidyapati.
    Vidyapati sang for all, Vishwakarma is the Creator of the Universe and Chitragupta audits the doings of all human beings.  Let us not bring them down to the stature of a pigmy for one’s selfish ends. So, is the case of Ambedkar, Birsa and others?  What would these great men and gods be thinking in Heaven about such deeds?
    Our Anatomy professor, Dr. B. N. Sinha, was also the president of the Rotract Club, founded by some enthusiastic medicos.  Once, he called me and asked me to teach Russian language and also two other girls of my class were asked to teach French and German in the evening classes. We all agreed.
    In the inaugural ceremony, the Vice-Chancellor and DIG and others came.  In fact, there was a large gathering of doctors and students. I was also asked to speak something on the occasion.  I found everybody was speaking in English.  So, I also spoke for the first time in English. I had much difficulty. Imagine, me, a first year boy in an august gathering and my maiden speech in a language not much known to me.  I traced the linguistic pedigree of Russian and its relations with Sanskrit.  One senior doctor, B. Jha, asked me some phrases in English, which I translated into Russian.
    I could attract only two students, as I was not a girl.  Among girls too, beautiful Gisy attracted many more students than the teacher of German, Anima Xess, a tribal girl from Ranchi
Unfortunately, due to the unethical atmosphere evolved, the classes of the Rotract club were not only closed forever but also the principal had to instruct to close down the Rotract club as the foundation of the Club itself was not consistent with the traditions of the soil.
We remembered for long, that a member, Shashi had written a letter on some problems of women to Indira Gandhi.  He received  a reply from her that was addressed as ‘Madam Shashi’. I think  Mrs. Gandhi had recognised the character of the club, i.e., femininity in thoughts at least.
The National Emergency was clamped and later I joined the hostel to appear in the examination which passed off smoothly and we returned with stethoscopes – like a vestigial organ,  a ubiquitous symbol of medicos and also symbolising a life in us after dissecting the dead, after passing the guarded iron curtain of the second year.
In my first clinical posting in Surgery, Dr. H. N. Dwivedi asked me if I had saluted dissection-hall before I left. I replied,  “Yes, sir. Thrice.”

                                Bhagwan  Dhanwantari

No comments: