Thursday, December 13, 2018

CHAPTER XIII DORMANT NMO: MY UNDULY DELAYED SESSION OF FINAL MBBS (1978-79)


CHAPTER XIII

DORMANT NMO: MY UNDULY DELAYED SESSION OF FINAL MBBS (1978-79)

            In reply to my first circular, the founding members of the NMO expressed keen interest. Correspondence began flowing really like the ‘blood’ of the NMO. One member, in fact, had superscripted his envelope with ‘Blood NMO’, another had once sent a postage of 25 paise for reply. Letters pouring in were full of enthusiasm. Citing a few lines may be worthwhile – from Jamnagar…”This is the first step towards our motto to gain ‘positive health’ of the nation. I am sure we will be organised within the shortest possible time;” from Amritsar…”Nothing is impossible, let us move from Varanasi to Kanyakumari.  India is one... is to be proved by us by doing maximum possible...” from Nagpur…” I promise that I will try my level best for the benefit and spreading of our organisation...” from Hyderabad (even before the receipt of my letter)… “As you have said about medical wing formation, what have you decided?  I think by this time you must have planned everything, let me know the same as early as possible...” from Bangalore.  “We will do whatever we can do...” and so from Gwalior someone rendered his service for our proposed monthly bulletin.
            The work was in full swing when I left for the cyclone relief work in Andhra.  From Vijayawada, I went to Hyderabad where Ma. Somayyaji, the State-Organiser of the Sangh promised to me all help, including a suitable place for the office, if he could get approval from the higher authorities.  I returned via Nagpur and had the opportunity to discuss things with Ma. Balasaheb at Khapadi camp. Ma. Dr. Abaji Thatte was there who listened to our talks attentively.  Ma. Balasaheb assured me of all help and he asked me to write to all medicos passing MBBS for opting to work in the service projects irrespective of their background or ideology.
  
            When I returned to Darbhanga, I was informed that  Prof. Rajendra Singh was to visit Darbhanga on Makar Sankranti on 14.1.1978 and the medico swaymsevaks  had accepted the advice of Ma. Deoji to hold Prof. Rajendra Singh’s meeting in the campus itself, that too under the auspices of the NMO.
            It was going to be the first public function of the NMO.  We collected Rs.2 from each as contribution from 32 medicos going to the shakha. From this fund of Rs.64 only, our first programme was organised.
            This programme was, in fact, mainly to welcome the freshers in the college in which Prof. Rajendra Singh delivered a thought-provoking lecture on, the role of medicos in national reconstruction.  But, the programme also proved to be welcome to the freshly formed NMO itself as he dealt in detail with the meaning behind the words __ National, Medicos and Organisation.















Prof. Rajendra Singh
(Ma. Rajju Bhaiya)
 (29.1.1922-14.7.2003)
P.P. ex-Sarsanghchalak
of the RSS
 
 

thus spake Prof. Rajendra Singh at the first public
function of the NMO at Darbhanga on 14.1.1978:
   Þus'kuy esfMdkst vkWjxsukbts'ku* dk uke cM+k lkFkZd gSA
vki ^esfMdkst* gSa D;ksfd thou& foKku dk vki v/;;u djrs gSaA
   nwljk 'kCn ^us'ku* cgqr egRo dk gSA geeas ls çR;sd ds vUnj
;g ^vkWjxsukbts'ku* ,d jk"Vª dh Hkkouk fuekZ.k djsxk fd tks
vkt xjhch dh ftUnxh esa] vLokLF;dj fLFkfr esa jg jgs gSa]
budh lsok dk lkSHkkX; esjs thou dk y{; gksA
;g Hkkouk ^us'kuy* 'kCn ls tkx`r gksrh gSA fQj vkrk gS
^vkWjxsukbts'ku*Adfy;qx esa laxBu esa gh 'kfDr gSA
   fo'o ds vUnj Hkkjr dk xkSjo'kkyh 
LFkku cus] tSlk gekjs iwoZtksa us cuk;k FkkA 
fo'o ds çFke ltZu esa lqJqr dk uke vkrk gSA
iphl lkS o"kZ iwoZ pjd us cM+k esVsfj;k esfMdk cuk;k
vkSj fgiksØsfVd 'kiFk ls vPNh 'kiFk nh fd]
 ^^eSa iSls ds fy,] /ku çkfIr ds fy, ugha] eSa lsok dh Hkkouk
ls ;g çksQslu Lohdkj dj jgk gw¡A**
       mu 'kCnksa ds fy,] lPps cudj] jk"Vª ds mu {ks=ksa esa
tgk¡ dksbZ igq¡pus ds fy, rS;kj ugha gS] vxj gekjk
^us'kuy esfMdkst vkWjxstukbts'ku* yksxksa dks çsfjr dj ldk
;g mldk cgqr cM+k dke gksxk vkSj mUgksaus tks dk
vkjEHk fd;k gS] mlds fy, c/kkbZ nsrk gw¡ vkSj vis{kk djr
 gw¡ fd os bl dk;Z esa ;'kLoh vkSj lQy cusaAß


            Principal Dr.T.N.Jha inaugurated the function and Prof. S. N. Varma presided over it. Apart from a second year student, Govindacharya also welcomed the freshers.
            While I was describing our cyclone relief work, I cautioned everyone that in this country the organisations also had high mortality rates like that of infants and if it so happened, the contribution of the NMO in Andhra would be remembered as expressed by Ben Johnson in the famous English poem, It is not growing like a tree, where a little flower was judged of more worth than a long-lived, useless tree like an oak. Prompt reaction to this was from Prof. Rajendra Singh, “Those who have confidence and will-power, prosper and when such strong persons come together in an organisation they see that their desires are successfully fulfilled.” The jam-packed hall had over a dozen of senior professors.  The senior most among them, Prof. B. N. Das Gupta remarked that those boys would do something in future.
            But the little flower of the NMO dedicated to the nation had to face rough weather.  Keeping this in view, I had made the remarks in the maiden public function.
            Soon started clouds of suspicion and our senior friends had drawn a hasty conclusion that the whole show was for some nefarious motives of mine for name or fame.  I had prolonged correspondence and virtually I surrendered as per their wishes, closed the files and the NMO went in abeyance, which later proved to be a phase of ‘dormancy’ only. 
            I can only say, for anyone who could not understand the motives behind the NMO: “Forgive them for they know not what they are doing” – what Christ had uttered on the cross.
            Govindji had a suggestion for me to work at the local level to see the results.  I argued with him that it might not give a significant result for two reasons: either I would have worked hard which might not be of interest to the medicos as a whole in the country or even if I liked to work in my college, the local friends would not cooperate with me thinking it to be a personal project of mine and might even taunt on the degeneration of a so-called national body working in a single college.

            I knew it well that even if I worked in a class-room or even personally with a nationalistic spirit, in fact, it was national, a grand organisation was not national without the spirit of nationalism.  Yet, it was a matter of the prevalent notion also that a national organisation should have such geographical dimensions.  It should not be national only by thought.  That was why, I had asked him to suggest medicos of different centres in the country to run such pilot projects and test its feasibility and if it had to be in only one college, let it be somewhere else, not in mine, to avoid the personal bias.
            And so, I decided to work on a personal basis, even without the banner of the NMO.  I vividly remember on the WHO Day, 1979, instead of going to attend a function of the IMA, I preferred to go to a nearby Harijan village, Chhapaki, with some drugs.  The villagers welcomed me.  There I continued serving till 21.6.1981. The first patient, an infant was brought to me, having corneal ulcer in his pupillary area. I gave tetracycline eye ointment to apply.  Next week, I again visited the village; the ulcer was healed without any sequel.  It gave me immense pleasure, difficult to describe in words.  And, at that time, I did not know that atropine should also have been prescribed for a corneal ulcer.
            Later in 1979, Prof. Rajendra Singh visited Darbhanga again but I did not mention to him about the NMO though I had arranged his meeting against utter protest by some CPI and Congress minded sections (the AIMF and the NSUI) of medicos.  It may be mentioned that the Progressive Medicos Federation, a forerunner of the AIMF had earlier demanded in a pamphlet banning the RSS Shakha in the Darbhanga medical campus. 
            Medicos were attracted finding the word ‘medico’ in the PMF/AIMF, but later when the NMO was formed, almost all of them gravitated to the NMO, finding the NMO as their own platform and organisation.  This programme of Prof. Rajendra Singh was held in between the two theory papers of Medicine of my final MBBS examination.  The meeting was held peacefully and was well attended in our auditorium and I also did well in my examination papers.  If you work for a social cause, God helps you, since it is His work you are only a doer.
  
            Encysted in files, the NMO went into a dormant phase on 14th Feb. 1978, finally receiving the letter of Govindacharya not to expand the NMO and I became busy for my fourth year examination from 4th April 1978.  I was in utmost tension and probably I would have fared better in examination with the NMO work.
            I had enteric fever, and in its paroxysm, I appeared in the first few papers.  A cot was arranged for me in the examination hall and when I finished my first paper, out of tiredness or toxaemia, I had to lie down and invigilators came near me in anxiety. Initially, when Chandrabhanu had approached the principal for special permission of writing in examination on bed, the principal was under the impression that it was for adopting unfair means but Chandrabhanu had told him that it was better to take my examination in the principal’s chamber itself.  When the principal came to the hall and knew it was I, he regretted for it ultimately.
            I had changed from my ISc days and it was the examination where Prof. H. R. Yadav and many others were impressed with my honesty when nearly all examinees were copying from books on their desks.  I also protested against a walkout in the last paper and asked for protection, as I was willing to appear even alone, though I did not know some of the answers.
            By those days, the sanctity of examination was totally lost. The extension of dates was a common phenomenon.  Our examination should have been held in June 1977 itself.  I vividly remember, when some boys had approached me for my signature on an application for fixing the examination dates on due time, I told them to take my signature on another sheet also, which they could require for the extension of examination on which I would not sign at any cost later on.  Believe me, they were the same who did require it afterwards for it but dared not ask me to sign again.
            I used to say in-joke that a good dissertation could be produced on the impact of marriage dates on examination dates as in those days; the dates had been advanced as an influential student was going to be married. 

            I also witnessed one of my lady classmates weeping in the hall on the walkout day of Pathology examination, since she was full term pregnant and she feared that she could not appear in the re-examination.  Indeed, it was one of the factors of my severe protest.
            But students are not the only cause for the extension of examination dates; probably more important are the authorities i.e. college as well as the university.  Medical colleges being usually attached to general universities, results are further delayed unnecessarily many a time where a tabulator hardly understands what the different terminals, practical, viva or clinical examinations are meant to be.  The sufferers are ultimately the students and so if a demand for the extension of dates comes through students, I will term it nothing but a sacrilege or in  a most simple word, suicidal.
            My final examination (scheduled in 1978) was held in 1979 and the result could be declared (due to non-returning of answer-books by the examiners) in 1980 and finally, I could join internship on 18.3.1980 (having been admitted to the first year on 13.11.1973), total course being only of four years and six months (and myself completing and passing in the first attempt, could complete MD in only Sept. 1985). No doubt, I had been with medicos for a longer time to have experience but at a great cost.  This menace of delayed sessions is to be fought against by all of us.
            In spite of illness, I did better in the fourth year than in the final year, not because I had read better, but as the examiners of the fourth year were still ‘teachers’ not merely doctors.  While my Microbiology examiner was himself insistent on my knowledge of ‘Sabauraud’s media’, on the basis of my vivid description of the differences between cholera and cholera el tor and the life cycle of Paragmonis westermani causing haemoptysis, the external examiner in ENT was asking a VIP candidate about the score of the day’s cricket match since he was apprehensive that any question might prove to be a ‘bouncer’ and he had promised a senior secretary of health secretariat to award ‘Honours’ to his future son-in-law.  (Unfortunately, in spite of awarding Honours in Eye & ENT, the boy failed because the examiner of Obstetrics & Gynecology was not satisfied and was ready to ask even questions of ENT, when approached for passing that candidate).

            As one grows to the final year the pairavi factor becomes worse as influential in-laws are of superior strata (common in the days of merit purchased by dowry).  I am sorry I was married much later.
            One interesting case of pairavi was that of a boy few years later.  A candidate was the ward of a Union Minister.  There used to be a coding system for theory papers, so sample of his handwriting was sent to the examiner. The examiner could not differentiate it from the handwriting of another candidate and so he awarded 83 marks to both in Surgery paper.  Thank God, the other poor fellow also did get senior ‘housesurgeonship’ in Surgery due to it.
            One other boy was famous for pairavi due to his versatile use of the bicycle, which he had purchased only for this purpose to have close contacts with gurus in the widespread colonies of the DMC.  Whether it was a marriage party in any house or any household work, he was omnipresent. Once, he flew on a helicopter with the Chief Minister’s daughter after she had delivered a baby in the wards.  Later, in due course of his service he got himself posted at the place where he liked.  On his success story of getting ‘Honours’ in many subjects, I used to tell my friends, “Please have pity on him, at least his pairavi is not congenital, but acquired by hard labour.”  He was the son of a poor farmer.  The story of Honours for money, bottles of wine or gifts like refrigerator was not unheard of.
            Yet, I found a great honest teacher, Dr. Basudeo Prasad of ENT, who was much pleased with the intelligence and labour of my brother-like Manipuri Birendra.  Though he had the highest marks in viva-voce but other boys got Honours by pairavi in theory papers.  After the results, Birendra had brought an idol of Krishna from Manipur for Basudeo Babu.  I went with him and gave it to his son.  Later, the teacher told me that even on knowing the fact that it was a token of reverence he did not like it.  His son had violated his standing instruction not to accept any gift from anybody but he had accepted the idol of Lord Krishna brought from Manipur on account of me as I was close to the teacher being a social worker. 
  
            Regarding Birendra, Dr. Basudeo Prasad had told in a junior class that he would have even awarded him an MS not to talk of Honours. He had also told the examiner of Ophthalmology that he himself had not such clear conceptions as those of Birendra when he was an under-graduate student.
            It does not mean that I had no pairavi at all but they were not so powerful.  Pairavis have different types – for Honours, high marks and passing, and for me it was mostly of the third variety, which I never needed, though someone might have told the examiners and again it was a fancy or phobia.  And, sometimes I was rather in deficit, as I was not asked hard questions.  Later on, I was repentant for pairavis made on my behalf. My pairavikars had probably assumed that I was a social worker so I should hardly pass; this myth could only be exploded when I competed for MD (Gen. Med.) and DCH, barely missing out MD (Paed.) also.
            Somehow, I could manage my examiners, at least some of them were pleased, by moving to uncommon points, e.g. in FMT, I was asked to define, Forensic Pathology.  I had never heard this term but instantaneously I made a definition, “That branch of Pathology which helps the state to run the law.” I do not know whether it was right or wrong, but he was satisfied.  He was honest, so probably having seen honesty in my theory papers, he found me among three students to pass separately in each theory paper (but he was close-fisted in awarding marks). 
            Such was also in the case of my external examiner in Medicine, Dr. T. K. Saha who had failed nearly all candidates in    a short case of the respiratory system but seeing my obsessively respected clinical methods (as standing in attention for showing drooping of the shoulders, refusing to percuss the front of the chest without bringing the patient to the sitting posture like Lord Buddha, refusing to count the intercostal spaces in lying position, etc.), he became much pleased but awarded me only 14 out of 25 marks in each of two short cases.  The other was a CNS case, in which I faired equally well.  Not only this, Dr. Saha praised me before the other external examiner, Dr. Bajpayi from Varanasi. 

            It is astonishing to recall that the same Dr. Saha as my examiner in MD could leave me in a distress as to why I did not count the rate of respiration in the patient. Probably by the time of MD so much unnecessary things were deposited in my brain due to the modern knowledge of Medicine that it sliced off those important clinical points, which were known to me in a masterly manner when I was an undergraduate student.
            But his fellow examiner, Dr. Bajpayi was a bit suspicious. On my diagnosis of ‘Hodgkin’s disease, stage III B’, he asked me the points in favour of it.  I could show him the ronchi on the back of the chest (due to glands pressing bronchi).  He said, “You would have done better, if you had not asked from others (like RMOs).”  An RMO instantaneously protested.  He said, “You do not know the boy who may be wrong but is honest enough not to take help from anyone else.”  It was beyond the comprehension of the examiner that an undergraduate could find and explain the pressing symptoms. He was not closed-fisted like Dr. Saha, but awarded me only 28 out of 50.
            Still the examiners of medicine were fair.  They had awarded me the third high mark in theory papers, largely on the honesty of my answers.  It may be amazing that on a note on significance of wave examination in Medicine, I had written full 32 pages, not only the clinically appreciated waves like that of a, c, v, etc. in venous pulse, etc. but also a vivid account of the diagnostic wave tracings of ECG, Echo, EEG, EMG, etc. 
            While I had written excellent essay on anaemia, depicting the Indian pattern, I did not know how I could write some tests of the HPA-axis whose relevance, I can appreciate now and only now.  I had written, “Give steroid and count eosinophil, eosinopenia will suggest for the hyperactivity of the pituitary.”  I know this test is not in practice but my knowledge of Physiology might have directed me and as I feel now, it can be very easily done.
            But do not think I was brilliant. I had not mentioned acute transverse myelitis as a cause of paraplegia.  I could not define brow in a dummy-pelvis though could describe the management of the face presentation.  One external examiner was so much pleased on listening, ‘Type I and Type II dips’ in cases of the fetal bradycardia that he offered me his pencil to draw the graphs (which I could hardly remember) and he asked me, “Where did you read it?  “Clayton’s edited Obstetrics by Ten teachers”, I replied.
  
            The book was simpler than Holland and Brews Manual of Obstetrics for a simple student like me who had difficulty in the ENT paper for recalling the word ‘trumpet’ while dealing with laryngocoele and I had rather drawn a diagram of that musical apparatus.
            There were no teachers other than the Head of the Department of PSM to introduce me as a good student to the external examiners where my fate was judged on only two questions:  ( i ) “As an owner of a mine will you provide the workers shoes or shirts and why?” My answer was, “Shoes, to prevent hookworm in water-logged mines.” ( ii ) “By eating in a rat infested restaurant which disease will you encounter?”  Salmonella dysentery, not the plague”, I answered. I was awarded the best marks. But in the Physiology paper, long back, I had described all the signs and symptoms of cerebellar lesion but can you imagine all I had written was on the contra-lateral side!
            In a terminal examination of Biochemistry, describing the inability of the body in the peripheral utilization of sugar, in cases of diabetes mellitus, I had compared it with S.T. Coleridge’s famous The Ancient Mariner’s condition in the mid-sea, “Water, water, everywhere, not  a drop to drink” (so is sugar present in plenty here but unable to be utilized for want of insulin).
            I had my own method of studying and answering in examinations.  Every examiner of mine was not a drunk like that of the Surgery who possibly missed numbers even in totaling the marks (I think, my 51 marks may be for 61).  Fortunately, I passed because in any case, I was not the bottom-ranker, in the clinics of Surgery.
            I had a fascination of presenting the cases and I had a record from the third year class itself, whether those were before Prof. Mohan Mishra, Prof. N.P. Mishra, Prof. R. R. Ganguli, Prof. Jamuar, or anyone, I had no hesitation at all.  They all were famous clinical teachers of my State.  Prof. Ganguli could appreciate my worth when I told him that a lactating woman’s lactosuria could be differentiated from the glycosuria by the simple osazone test of the Biochemistry.  I knew it was difficult for the PGs to recall their pre-clinical teachings.
             Prof. Mohan Mishra in the theory classes of the third year knew me from my description of kuru in cannibalistic tribes when he had asked for examples of long acting viruses. Once, he had also remarked that intelligent persons suffered more from migraine – if it could be a criterion, I might also be rated as intelligent.
            But it is not the fact.  I recall, Prof. N. P. Mishra’s lecture in the third year (which was the first lecture on Medicine), “You can be  a Master of Arts or Science; You can be a Doctor of Medicine, but never a Master of Medicine.”  I still recall those sayings of that great clinical master.
            I had never read only for examinations, even  the night before the examination.  No one can imagine that the night before the Pathology paper, I was roaming over the anterior and posterior station developments in the life cycles of different species of Trypanosoma causing sleeping sickness or Chaga’s disease.  I knew pretty well that I was not to appear in the examination in Africa or Latin America, but it was true.
            When I view my student life in general and as a medical student in particular – I find, I was never systematic and step-wise in my approach. And only, a systematic study is called Science which is not like Philosophy.  Now it is too late, so I have chosen Medical Philosophy as my specialty.

Sushrut is remembered with great honour as the father of Indian Surgery. It is surprising that he had begun the surgery of different complex conditions such as fractures, amputations, tumours, and cranial and abdominal operations when the modern surgical techniques were in infant stage. He is also credited as the pioneer of cataract operation. (Courtesy, the Aayrurvigyan Pragati 1981: 1: Cover ii.


Sushrut
Father of Indian Surgery

No comments: